03 February 2018

Mens Cards + CAS What a Challenge!

I am so challenged! The thought of making a card for a man does not thrill me at all. It's not that I don't want to bless the men around me, or celebrate their birthdays or special moments and achievements! men need all the blessed  encouragement they can get.
BUT honestly I find making cards for men quite hard. Well I needed to make 2 birthday cards for men this weekend, (I will share the 2nd card in the next post!)  I searched for inspiration on pinterest etc and decided perhaps I should buy the cards ***GASP*** "buy a card" !!???!!! I screamed inwardly at myself !!! NOOOOO that is not happening!! I got so frustrated as the ideas were simply not flowing so I left the task for a while and did something else (I am learning to walk away for a while rather than get frustrated!)  On returning to the need for cards yesterday afternoon, I noticed this sketch by the Tuesday Morning Sketch challenge.....   
This sketch is quite different to the sketches I usually follow. I liked it and the Design Team samples were lovely, but it brought up another challenge... I find CAS (Clean and simple) cards lovely to look at but when it comes to making them I get in the flow and just keep adding bits n bobs, details,  layers, embellishments, etc till my card is nothing like a clean and simple card. That's just me and my style I guess but hey I was up for the challenge. I needed to make this card so I had to have go! 
This particular birthday boys job is something to do with engineering and aeroplanes so that was a no brainer when it came to the theme. You could say I was off to a flying start LOL (sorry another pun) but I now knew which stamp set to use...The Sky is the Limit by Stampin' Up. now my inspiration had started to flow! His aeroplanes are very high tech compared to this vintage one but it has wings so that's good enough for me! 
I am entering this card into some challenges...
following the above sketch #438
"Things With Wings"

To create my card I used a white 5" x7" card base and pale grey card for the first layer to which I stamped and silver embossed the happy birthday stamp. Then chose pale blue marl mark card and stamped the tree tops from the Lovely as a Tree stamp set also from Stampin' Up.
I coloured the trees with watercolour pencils,  I used a whisper white ink pad and a dauber to add a bit of white for the clouds but it didn't show as nicely as I ped. I used my Tim Holtz Stamping platform to stamp the aeroplane image as I wanted to double stamp it to get a good dark crisp image. After colouring it I fussy cut it out along with some stamped clouds, mounted the aeroplane and one cloud onto foam pads and left the other clouds flat. 
When I finished my card I had to almost sit on my hands to stop myself adding to it but I am pleased I left it as it is.

That sketch really helped me to get this card going once I got into the flow the inspiration came and  it was job done!



3 comments:

Debbie said...

Wonderful masculine card! I find them so difficult, too! I love this!!
Thanks for playing along with us at Tuesday Morning Sketches
Debbie ~ TMS DT
Debbie's Dash of This and That

Carol L said...

I'm just delighted that our Tuesday Morning sketch inspired you to create the perfect masculine card! I love how you placed the treetops at the bottom of the panel, and fussy cutting the airplane and placing it among the clouds looks wonderful! Sure to please any gentleman! Thanks for playing along with the TMS and we hope to see you next week too :)

Rene said...

Just love your card!
And yes, it is more difficult to make male themed cards for me too.
The sketch is rather different from many that I have seen. It all adds interest to your theme and I'm so glad you joined our 'Things with wings' challenge at Crafting By Designs
Rene DT CBD
PS. I'm a CAS girl, so this card is right up my alley ;)